Monday, February 21, 2011

Let's Clean Hurghada

My last blog posting about Let's Clean Hurghada included a video of Sheraton Street while people were in full swing cleaning.

Today, I'll provide some more pictures I've captured throughout this campaign. Tomorrow, I hope to get back out there in the afternoon, numbers dwindle and rise with people's various working schedules. Truly an amazing sight however, are the number of people that have now taken it upon themselves to head out every day to clean up the city. It's no longer an every other day occurrence, it's become a campaign that almost every resident will at some point participate in, or benefit from.

The overall feeling that I've had throughout this period of Revolution has been one of uncertainty. I wasn't ever really sure at what point my opinion came into effect. After all, I am not Egyptian. Yes Egypt is my present home, and I know that anyone who has ever lived here holds a soft spot for the country, but where does that leave me? I contented myself with blogging about it and simply being there to record history in progress. But these campaigns to clean up the country and further awareness of causes within Egypt are things that anyone can participate in. I finally feel that I am positively contributing to the country and it's future path, without overstepping the boundaries that being a foreigner entails. 

Tomorrow the Let's Clean Hurghada team will be meeting at the Aqua Fun Hotel. I hope to head out there after work and further play out my role as someone changing Egypt for the better.

Surprisingly enough to me, the days that I have gone out, you see a lot more Egyptians than foreigners. This is just unbelievable, coming from people who didn't really care about the natural environment as a whole, who are now out there cleaning up the streets to build a better country. There is belief here again that an individual really can effect change. I hope that more foreigners pick up on these important lessons and lend a hand in these campaigns throughout the country.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with some pictures of other people who are also making a difference!

I think this picture speaks for itself!







Amazing. It became a family day out. These kids were as busy as anyone!


Group effort to clean the streets


Where there was once rubbish, we left behind only bags...Picked up throughout the day!









5 comments:

  1. i would love to apologize to every one in the event about what they wrote in that news paper about me supporting a political group .
    im not supporting any groups of any kind as i announced when i started the event and few days ago .

    i didnt s...tart the event to support any groups and i didnt start that event for a personal reasons as my business were not effected by the tourism crisis in the red sea i even supported the event from my own money as many others have done .

    my deep apologize for what they wrote and please forgive me for that reporter's mistake and allow me to leave the event to someone else to administrate it as i heard in the meeting few minutes ago that you all want me out .

    i would like to thank all Egyptians and foreigners for what they have done so far and i wish you all a good luck in your plane and i hope to see hurghada and all of egypt more clean .
    it was an honor to work with all of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo, an alle Helfer,
    ich finde es gut, das dies jetz so super in Angriff genommen wurde. Ich liebe Hurghada, aber war immer sehr entsetzt über den Schmutz, gerade bei uns in der Region el waffa.Ich versuche immer wieder das Gefühl für Sauberkeit weiter zugeben und finde es super, das ich nicht so alleine das Empfinden habe.
    Bei vielen Touristen ist der Schmutz und der Müll ein Thema, was dann bei den Erzählungen in der Heimat in Erinnerung bleibt. Das soll so nicht sein, dafür ist Ägypten zu schön und die Menschen zu leibenswert.

    Macht weiter so und ich finde Euch toll.

    Gruß

    Petra Söder
    z.Zeit in Deutschland, komme aber am 17.3.11 wieder.

    ReplyDelete